Thursday 15 October 2015

This MAGIC thing that happened last week.


The Fleeting Moment
I had already collected a list of words that I felt were of the utmost important to my project:

                 Metaphorical

                 Poetic

                 Absence

                 Erase(-ure)

                 Evocative

                 Non-place

                 Still

                 Empty

                 Abandoned

                 Trace

                 Loss

                 And so on


However, I still had a box of frogs in my head and knew I needed to bring them all together and then FOCUS on one or two aspects of all my research in order to progress and start producing some work. But what to choose? Everything about it is fascinating to me.


At a group seminar the ‘Watchword’ technique, described as ‘an inverse mind map’ was introduced as something that could be applied to our work (originally a psychotherapy test – ‘how to know yourself’ sort of thing) to produce a title or to narrow things down a bit to a core aim. Before I filled it in I knew this could solve all my problems.

And it did - like magic! The result was what I already had written in my original P2 proposal, I already knew it but this made it perfectly clear. You should try it, just don't think too hard - here! It worked for my students too. 


1 comment: